Mountainous challenge for cyclists
Two cyclists are riding the length of a mountain chain to help combat cancer. Stephen Hague, 40 and Gareth Hughes, 37, both from Hitchin, are currently in training to compete in The Raid Pyrenean, an endurance race across the Pyrenees, in aid of The Pros
Two cyclists are riding the length of a mountain chain to help combat cancer.
Stephen Hague, 40 and Gareth Hughes, 37, both from Hitchin, are currently in training to compete in The Raid Pyrenean, an endurance race across the Pyrenees, in aid of The Prostate Cancer Charity.
Starting on the Atlantic coast and finishing on the Mediterranean the two will pedal 450 miles over the length of the mountain range - all in under 100 hours starting on June 8.
Stephen, whose father died of prostate cancer in 2004, said: "The raid is one of the hardest cycling challenges out there, over 18 Tour de France mountains. The Raid must be completed in the time set and progress is monitored."
You may also want to watch:
Stephen's sister, Jacqueline Northern, and best mate Michael Jackson will be driving a support vehicle, but the pair still need a helping hand.
"We have managed to get a national cycle carrier company to donate a carrier for the bikes and need desperately to get other companies involved to help cover costs," Stephen added.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 5 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 6 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 7 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 8 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 9 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 10 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
If you can help with the logistics contact Gareth at firstname.lastname@example.org or to sponsor the attempt go to www.justgiving.com/stephenhague