Mountainous challenge for cyclists
Two cyclists are riding the length of a mountain chain to help combat cancer. Stephen Hague, 40 and Gareth Hughes, 37, both from Hitchin, are currently in training to compete in The Raid Pyrenean, an endurance race across the Pyrenees, in aid of The Pros
Two cyclists are riding the length of a mountain chain to help combat cancer.
Stephen Hague, 40 and Gareth Hughes, 37, both from Hitchin, are currently in training to compete in The Raid Pyrenean, an endurance race across the Pyrenees, in aid of The Prostate Cancer Charity.
Starting on the Atlantic coast and finishing on the Mediterranean the two will pedal 450 miles over the length of the mountain range - all in under 100 hours starting on June 8.
Stephen, whose father died of prostate cancer in 2004, said: "The raid is one of the hardest cycling challenges out there, over 18 Tour de France mountains. The Raid must be completed in the time set and progress is monitored."
Stephen's sister, Jacqueline Northern, and best mate Michael Jackson will be driving a support vehicle, but the pair still need a helping hand.
"We have managed to get a national cycle carrier company to donate a carrier for the bikes and need desperately to get other companies involved to help cover costs," Stephen added.
- 1 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 2 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 3 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 4 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 5 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 6 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 7 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 8 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
- 9 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 10 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
If you can help with the logistics contact Gareth at email@example.com or to sponsor the attempt go to www.justgiving.com/stephenhague