Motorway accident causes traffic chaos
RUSH-HOUR chaos hit Comet country this morning (Thursday, October 19) after an accident on the A1(M). The motorway was shut in both directions between junctions seven and eight, at Stevenage. Reports say a car left the northbound carriageway shortly after
RUSH-HOUR chaos hit Comet country this morning (Thursday, October 19) after an accident on the A1(M).
The motorway was shut in both directions between junctions seven and eight, at Stevenage.
A black Ford Focus left the northbound carriageway near Stevenage, hit a tree and ended up in a field shortly after 7am.
The male driver was taken to the Lister Hospital, Stevenage, with serious injuries.
You may also want to watch:
The motorway was shut northbound between junctions seven and nine, but reopened at 10.45am.
Rush-hour traffic was diverted along alternative routes, bringing roads through Codicote and Knebworth to a standstill.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 3 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 4 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 5 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 6 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 7 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 8 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
Police are appealing for witnesses. Call Insp Jim Grassie of the road policing unit on 01923 472382.
Keep checking www.thecomet.net for further details as they are known.