More than 200 take part in Stevenage sponsored walk
IN memory of loved ones, people gathered in Stevenage on Sunday to take part in a sponsored walk.
MORE than 200 people took part in an annual sponsored walk on Sunday in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support, and it is hoped more than �15,000 has been raised.
People of all ages gathered in Fairlands Valley Park in Stevenage and walked, jogged or ran either the three or six-mile route.
Twelve-year-old Ryan Hasler was the first to cross the six-mile finish line, completing the route in 42 minutes. He was running as part of a group of more than 50 family members and friends taking part in memory of his father’s cousin, Kevin Scales, who died in 2007.
Nine-year-old Kray Bennett, who was also running in memory of Mr Scales, was the first over the three-mile finish line, completing the course in just over 30 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Carla Poole, a Macmillan Cancer Support fundraising manager, said: “Sunday was such a successful day, everyone really enjoyed themselves and raised lots of money for Macmillan. The Macmillan fundraising team would like to remind people of the wonderful prize on offer this year for people sending in sponsorship before June 30. Anyone who raises over �200 in sponsorship will be entered into a prize draw to win a Mini for the weekend for their own personal use – courtesy of Specialist Cars in Stevenage.”
She added: “The day wouldn’t have been such a success without the help and support from the staff at Fairlands Valley Park, and the wonderful Macmillan volunteers who played such a big part in the organising of the day.”
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 9 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 10 Stevenage 'miles better' but have to be more ruthless in front of goal says Revell
She said Macmillan would also like to thank the event sponsor, Cheshunt Dairy, and the official photographic company for the day, Steve Gemmell Photography.
For people wishing to take part in the Macmillan walk next year at Fairlands Valley Park, Sunday, May 15, is the date for your diary.
For more information about the walk, or for other ways to get involved with Macmillan, contact the Hertfordshire fundraising team on 01438 712012.
To see photos taken on the day, visit www.stevegemmell.com