More candidates announced for Hitchin by-elections
- Credit: Archant
MORE candidates standing in two upcoming by-elections have been announced.
The Conservative Party has named those who will be contesting the Hitchin North seat in the county council by-election and the Hitchin Oughton seat in the district level equivalent.
The election was called following the death of Cllr David Billing, who held both seats.
Alan Millard, who is already a councillor for Hitchin Walsworth, is standing for the Hitchin North seat, while Mara MacSeoinin is hoping to be elected in Hitchin Oughton.
Cllr Millard said: “David was a charming, agreeable and likable person who this year regained the seat he had held in the past.
You may also want to watch:
“I contested the seat in May and will be contesting it again in September hoping the electorate will support me in winning it.
“I am now retired and enjoy and find plenty of time to carry out my duties as a councillor.”
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 4 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 5 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 6 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 7 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 8 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 9 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 10 Nobel School celebrates 60 years
The Green Party has also announced that Gavin Nicholson will be standing for the Hitchin North seat.
The Comet reported last week that Cllr Billing’s wife Judi is contesting her late husband’s county council seat. Liberal Democrat councillor Lisa Courts is also standing for election. Both currently represent Hitchin Bearton at district level.
Voters will go to the polls on Thursday, September 12.