Mods scoot youth leader back to the 70s
A much-loved former youth club leader was whisked off her feet when the mods she used to look after in the late 70s and early 80s scooted her away.
Jean Doe, of Archer Road in Stevenage, who was a leader at the Timebridge Club in the town for 30 years, was taken to a reunion of the club in style on Saturday when a surprise posse of Vespa riders turned up at her home.
The 71-year-old said she was all dressed up for the event when she heard a lot of noise outside.
“I was in my garden and I heard a lot of pop, pop, pops. I went outside my back gate and there were six fellows sitting there on their scooters.
They said ‘you are our guest of honour and we are taking you to the club’.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m all dressed up for the evening – I put on a helmet and get on a scooter. When I got there everyone clapped.
“When they used to come to the club they were 13 or 14. They did a brilliant job. It was a really, really good night.”
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 6 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 7 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
Reunion organiser Steve Byrne said: “It was brilliant. Some of the lads that were coming up there went up on their scooters like in the old days. It was a really great night. Most people were outside chatting because they hadn’t seen each other in so long.
“We are talking about doing another one around Christmas time.”