Model aircraft building effort is recognised as a world record
- Credit: Archant
A Guinness world record for the largest number of people to build model aircraft in the same place at the same time has been set at the Shuttleworth Collection near Biggleswade.
The heritage aircraft centre at the Old Warden Aerodrome teamed up with the IPMS Brampton Scale Model Club to organise the record attempt on November 20 last year.
The record was previously held by the RAF Museum for 250 models, but this was smashed with 369 Airfix models built at Shuttleworth as part of a giant community challenge.
IPMS Brampton provided nearly 400 plastic First World War aircraft model kits free of charge, courtesy of Airfix.
Shuttleworth’s communications and marketing manager, Ciara Harper, said: “Shuttleworth is delighted with the result – it wouldn’t have been possible without Alec and the IPMS Brampton Scale Model Club or Airfix who generously supplied the models. It was a real community event with visitors of all ages involved, including air cadets and scouts.
You may also want to watch:
“Everyone had a lot of fun so we look forward to the next challenge.”
The challenge appealed to all ages from young first time model builders to seasoned grandparents who enjoyed the opportunity to take part in the activity together.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 4 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
Alec Smith from the IPMS Brampton Scale Model Club said: “A number of modellers brought their spouses along, and it was a real mix of girls and boys. The event was a huge success, and in more ways than even we had expected.”
The official certificate from Guinness World Records for ‘The Most People Constructing Aircraft Models’ can be seen on display in Shuttleworth’s visitor centre.
The Shuttleworth Collection is a unique collection of more than 40 antique airworthy aeroplanes alongside vintage vehicles, motorbikes and bicycles. Based at Old Warden Park in Bedfordshire, the collection is open to the public all year round.
There are also special flying days and evenings taking place from May to October, when visitors have the opportunity to see aircraft take to the skies.
For more about Shuttleworth visit www.shuttleworth.org