Mitch makes a mess as blaze sweeps through kitchen

TWO snakes, a cat and an unconscious dog were rescued by firefighters during a house fire believed to have been caused by a pet. Fiona Mikel, of Shephall View, Stevenage, believes her dog, Mitch, may have brushed past the cooker and switched on one of the

TWO snakes, a cat and an unconscious dog were rescued by firefighters during a house fire believed to have been caused by a pet.

Fiona Mikel, of Shephall View, Stevenage, believes her dog, Mitch, may have brushed past the cooker and switched on one of the rings when the house was empty.

The mother-of-three, who was out shopping at the time on Friday, said: "I am just so pleased no one was hurt. The house can be replaced but the children and animals can't."

Two fire crews were called to the scene after a neighbour raised the alarm.


You may also want to watch:


The RSPCA was also called after Mitch suffered smoke inhalation and he and the cat were given oxygen.

The smoke alarm in the house had been knocked off the ceiling some months ago and never replaced.

Most Read

Extensive damage was done to the kitchen area and there was a lot of smoke damage.

Fiona said: "It's been a big strain on the kids but we have had so much help from friends. People have just been brilliant around here.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter