Miracle boy gets starring role at Wimbledon
A tennis-mad teenager whose Wimbledon dreams were shattered by a devastating heart condition will have a starring role on the biggest day in the sport s calendar. James Doherty from Codicote will fulfil his dream of being on centre court on Men s final d
A tennis-mad teenager whose Wimbledon dreams were shattered by a devastating heart condition will have a starring role on the biggest day in the sport's calendar.
James Doherty from Codicote will fulfil his dream of being on centre court on Men's final day at Wimbledon as he has been chosen to flip the coin to see who will serve first.
The 14-year-old, who just 10 months ago was a junior county champion and tipped as a future star of the game, is unable to play after being diagnosed with Long QT Syndrome.
In September last year James collapsed whilst training when his heart stopped beating and he now has a defibrillator implant.
You may also want to watch:
James said: "I've always dreamed of being a professional tennis player and playing at Wimbledon would have been the ultimate. That's obviously not going to happen now, but an experience like this is the next best thing and a dream come true.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 8 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 9 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 10 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts