Millwall win at the Lamex against a work-in-progress Stevenage side
- Credit: Archant
Match report: Stevenage 0 Millwall 1
Mark Beevers headed Millwall to a win at the Lamex in Stevenage’s latest pre-season friendly.
Boro struggled to impose their authority on their League One opponents as the Lions played their way to a comfortable victory.
Stevenage, still looking for further additions in the transfer market, were missing the likes of Ronnie Henry, Chris Whelpdale and Steven Schumacher through injury and began the game with a squad peppered with youngsters.
Four of these – George Casey, Ryan Johnson, Dale Gorman and Dipo Akinyemi – started, while Boro also lost midfielder Dave McAllister to injury during the first half.
You may also want to watch:
The former Shrewsbury Town player went off with a groin strain and Boro had to call upon Dean Parrett to replace him, the ex-Spurs man himself having just recovered from a knock.
Teddy Sheringham also handed two trialists the chance to impress from the bench. One was the former Coventry City striker Shaun Miller, but for all of his energy he was bereft of supply.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 4 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 5 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 6 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 9 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 10 Council approves new measures to get to net zero by 2030
For the visitors Jimmy Abdou headed wide from a couple of yards in the first half before Paris Cowan-Hall spurned a chance to put the Lions ahead when he scuffed a shot wide from 16 yards.
Shaun Williams then smashed his effort against the bar as Millwall pushed for a goal, and it came just after the hour mark when Beevers got in front of his defender at a free-kick and flicked his header past Day.
Ben Thompson also went close for the visitors, while for Boro Brett Williams, signed in the summer from Aldershot, sent his shot off target.
Up next for Stevenage’s first team is a Spurs XI next weekend.
Stevenage: Day, Casey, Johnson, McAllister (Parrett 31), Hughes, Wells, Pett, Gorman (Conlon 68), B Williams (Trialist 56), Lee, Akinyemi (Miller 56). Subs: Jackson, Okimo, Miller, Kerr, Smyth.
Millwall: Forde (Archer 55) Cummings (Martin 73), Abdou (Upson 46), Craig, S Williams (Thompson 73), Cowan-Hall (Onyedinma 55), Gregory (Philpot 55), Martin (Powell 55), Marquis, Beevers (Nelson 73), Webster. Subs: Romeo, Archer, Pavey.