Millie’s at home
PATS the way to do it at Sue Ryder Care. The home at Stagenhoe Park near Whitwell, which provides long term and respite care to people with neurological conditions, has just recruited a volunteer of the four-legged variety. Millie the PAT dog (Pets As Th
PATS the way to do it at Sue Ryder Care.
The home at Stagenhoe Park near Whitwell, which provides long term and respite care to people with neurological conditions, has just recruited a volunteer of the four-legged variety.
Millie the PAT dog (Pets As Therapy) has joined the team and been welcomed with open arms by residents and staff.
The aim is for residents to be able to enjoy the companionship of Millie which could have a positive effect on their wellbeing.
Millie's owner Jo Simms said: "I read an article requesting volunteers to step forward at Stagenhoe Park and thought that Millie would be a perfect friend for the residents. We contacted the Pets As Therapy organisation which assessed Millie and put her through a variety of tests.
"I am pleased to say she passed with flying colours and is now a part-time volunteer for the neurological care centre."
- 1 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 2 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 3 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 4 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 5 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 7 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 8 Stevenage woman, 52, accused of wounding 91-year-old in her own home
- 9 Avid quizmaster raising funds for rape and sexual assault support service
- 10 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
Richard Grieves, activities co-ordinator for the centre, said: "Millie brings a connection to the everyday world that we may take for granted, giving our residents a positive focus in either recalling their own pets or just having contact with an animal.
"Sue Ryder Care aims to enable people to get the best from life and Millie has a real role to play in this.