Millie’s at home
PATS the way to do it at Sue Ryder Care. The home at Stagenhoe Park near Whitwell, which provides long term and respite care to people with neurological conditions, has just recruited a volunteer of the four-legged variety. Millie the PAT dog (Pets As Th
PATS the way to do it at Sue Ryder Care.
The home at Stagenhoe Park near Whitwell, which provides long term and respite care to people with neurological conditions, has just recruited a volunteer of the four-legged variety.
Millie the PAT dog (Pets As Therapy) has joined the team and been welcomed with open arms by residents and staff.
The aim is for residents to be able to enjoy the companionship of Millie which could have a positive effect on their wellbeing.
You may also want to watch:
Millie's owner Jo Simms said: "I read an article requesting volunteers to step forward at Stagenhoe Park and thought that Millie would be a perfect friend for the residents. We contacted the Pets As Therapy organisation which assessed Millie and put her through a variety of tests.
"I am pleased to say she passed with flying colours and is now a part-time volunteer for the neurological care centre."
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 9 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
Richard Grieves, activities co-ordinator for the centre, said: "Millie brings a connection to the everyday world that we may take for granted, giving our residents a positive focus in either recalling their own pets or just having contact with an animal.
"Sue Ryder Care aims to enable people to get the best from life and Millie has a real role to play in this.