Mike O’Neill Big Band show at Baldock’s Knights Templar School raises £1,100 for Graham Rees’ cancer treatment
- Credit: Archant
A Baldock community big band show on Thursday night raised £1,100 to help fund a friend’s cancer treatment.
The Mike O’Neill Big Band, ‘MOBB’, played at Knights Templar School in aid of Graham Rees, from Baldock, who was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer two years ago.
Chemotherapy helped to shrink Graham’s tumour and he later received medication called Nivolumab, which gave him his life back, but was expensive. This fundraising drive aims to help keep the treatment going.
Band leader Mike, who taught piano and jazz at Knights Templar for more than 20 years, got involved through his connection with Graham’s sister Deb Jones – who also works at the school, and is fundraising for Graham alongside his other sister Sylvia Carley.
Mike said: “The evening drew a crowd of about 80 people, and £1,100 was raised for Graham Rees’ treatment.
You may also want to watch:
“The support from Sharo, Debbie, school performing arts technician Amelia Bullock and Dan Barnicott really contributed to the concert.
“Mark Overton and his bar crew kept everyone supplied with the necessary, and I’d also like to thank Ruby Doherty who did the door.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
“The band did themselves proud and contributed to a really good cause. Thank you to everyone who helped.”
To find out more or make a donation to Graham’s treatment, see gofundme.com/2t69ghun.