Midfielder rejects Boro
Boro have been thwarted in an attempt to sign midfielder Phil Trainer according to reports. Trainer turned down approaches from both Boro and Crawley Town to sign for AFC Telford on a one-year deal with the geography of the move appearing to work against
Boro have been thwarted in an attempt to sign midfielder Phil Trainer according to reports.
Trainer turned down approaches from both Boro and Crawley Town to sign for AFC Telford on a one-year deal with the geography of the move appearing to work against Stevenage boss Graham Westley.
"He (Trainer) spoke at length to Stevenage and Crawley and also had an offer from Solihull Moors," Telford assistant manager Larry Chambers told The Shropshire Star.
"But he enjoyed his time here towards the end of last season and I don't think he was keen on travelling too far, even though he wants to play at the highest level he can and get back in the Conference.
"For me, it's a massive signing - with a good pre-season behind him I'm expecting big things.
"He's an ambitious player, and I'd imagine he's turned down some bigger financial offers to come here."
- 1 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 2 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 3 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 4 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 5 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 6 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 7 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 8 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
- 9 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 10 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
The news illustrates however that Boro are looking to bring in another central midfielder after letting Gary Mills and John Martin leave The Lamex Stadium this summer.