Mid Beds MP accused of wrecking friend’s marriage
THE MP for Mid Beds has been accused of being a ‘marriage wrecker’ after confirming she is having an affair with a friend’s husband.
Conservative Nadine Dorries, whose constituency includes Shefford, Clifton and Meppershall, admitted she was in a relationship with John Butler, a devout Christian, whose wife, Rachael, hit out at the politician through the national press after learning about the affair.
“I just want everybody to know that Nadine Dorries is not the saintly person she appears to be.”
“Because she’s an MP people think of her as a pillar of society but in fact she’s a marriage wrecker.
“I’m shocked and hurt. I know it takes two to tango but she shouldn’t have gone after a married man,” the 54-year-old said in an interview published by The Daily Mail.
Mrs Dorries, a mother of three, said she began seeing the father of two shortly after he left his wife in December.
Mrs Butler and her husband, 56, have been married for 30 years and have known the MP for over a decade.
- 1 Body found in wooded area of Stevenage
- 2 Recap: Wire damage disrupts Hitchin and Peterborough trains
- 3 Residents show 'strong support' for TK Maxx relocation plans
- 4 Red panda Tilly gives birth to ‘miracle’ cub at Paradise Wildlife Park one month after passing of partner Nam Pang
- 5 11-year-old left with facial injuries after Stevenage dog attack
- 6 Thameslink passengers urged to delay travel until later due to 'incidents'
- 7 Ashbottom Close 'altercation' leaves man in his 20s with serious injuries
- 8 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 9 'Hitchin is the only place I've felt accepted'
- 10 Captain uses his head but Stevenage make win over Rochdale harder than it should have been
The couple live in the Cotswolds, the same region where Mrs Dorries lists her main home.
In a statement to the press, issued on her blog, the 53-year-old politician, said: “I can confirm that I am in the early stages of a romantic relationship with John Butler.
“John and I have been friends for many years and the status of our relationship altered over the Christmas period following his decision to leave his wife.
“We both have the full support of our five teenage and young adult daughters who have been our first consideration throughout.”
The Comet spoke to Mrs Dorries, who left her husband in 2006, who said: “There’s nothing more to say, there’s a lot of rubbish in the national press.
“I’m not a home wrecker... I’m dating a separated man.”
Mr Butler also posted a statement on the MP’s blog confirming the relationship.
He said: “I took the decision to leave my wife, Rachael Butler in December 2010.
“I will confirm that I am in a romantic relationship with Nadine Dorries, who has been a good friend for 13 years.
“I have the full support of my two daughters, family and friends who have been incredibly kind with the generosity and care they have shown towards us.
“My decision to leave Rachael was taken separately from that to enter a relationship with Nadine. Had I not known Nadine, I would still have left Rachael.
“I now hope to be able to create a more peaceful stable, family environment for my two daughters from that which they have been used to for some considerable time.”