Mexican Wave of Emotion
AN IT salesman is taking up the challenge of a lifetime and cycling across Mexico to raise money for The Comet s Charity of the Year, Macmillan Cancer Support. Andy Gibbons, of Stirling Close in Stevenage, will be joining 60 strangers and cycling across M
AN IT salesman is taking up the challenge of a lifetime and cycling across Mexico to raise money for The Comet's Charity of the Year, Macmillan Cancer Support.
Andy Gibbons, of Stirling Close in Stevenage, will be joining 60 strangers and cycling across Mexico as part of Macmillan's El Grandisimo cycling challenge.
He will be cycling for 13 days, from March 7 to 19, and covering just over 600km.
Andy hopes to raise �3,200 for the charity, in memory of his mother who died from cancer 15 years ago and was cared for by Macmillan nurses.
He said: "I have decided to step up to this challenge as my way of thanking Macmillan Cancer Support for all the fantastic work they provide to the families whose lives have been affected by cancer."
He added: "I have always wanted to find some way of helping this worthy cause and this looks like a mad but fantastic way of raising money."
- 1 Wire damage disrupts Great Northern trains between Hitchin and Peterborough
- 2 Red panda Tilly gives birth to ‘miracle’ cub at Paradise Wildlife Park one month after passing of partner Nam Pang
- 3 11-year-old left with facial injuries after Stevenage dog attack
- 4 Ashbottom Close 'altercation' leaves man in his 20s with serious injuries
- 5 Residents show 'strong support' for TK Maxx relocation plans
- 6 'Hitchin is the only place I've felt accepted'
- 7 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 8 Ford Focus and Vauxhall Insignia crash on A602 Stevenage Road
- 9 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 10 Captain uses his head but Stevenage make win over Rochdale harder than it should have been
The 44-year-old said the preparation and training is tough, adding: "It will be an extremely testing physical challenge, cycling through dense forests and in all weathers."
If you would like to show support for Andy and sponsor him, visit his fundraising page at http://www.justgiving.com/andy-gibbons
For more information about El Grandisimo, visit
MACMILLAN Cancer Support is appealing for people to get involved and help raise money for the charity.
Carla Poole, Macmillan's Hertfordshire fundraising manager, said: "Organising fundraising events is a lot of fun and very rewarding. We have lots of supporters who make a huge difference to people's lives by organising things such as quiz nights, balls and garden parties. It's an incredible way to be part of the Macmillan movement and help improve someone's life."
Whether you raised �70 or �700, every penny will go towards improving the life of someone who needs help from Macmillan.
You could get involved by organising your own fundraising event, or join one of Macmillan's six fundraising groups across the county.
If you are interested, call Macmillan's Hertfordshire fundraising team on 01438 712012.