Message getting through as distraction burglary cases are halved in Hertfordshire
DISTRACTION burglaries have halved in Hertfordshire following a police campaign. Police have revealed that 75 fewer distraction crimes have been committed in the county during the first quarter of the policing year when compared to the same period in 2008
DISTRACTION burglaries have halved in Hertfordshire following a police campaign.
Police have revealed that 75 fewer distraction crimes have been committed in the county during the first quarter of the policing year when compared to the same period in 2008. This represents a reduction of more than 50 per cent.
Officers on the Operation Manhunt initiative, which has targeted distraction burglaries and rogue traders, are encouraged by the results.
Det Ch Insp Paul Williamson, who leads the Operation Manhunt team, said: "We've been working hard to spread crime prevention advice to the community and the message is getting through. People are being more vigilant and not letting these con men into their homes, and we've had a marked increase in reports to our control room from people reporting suspicious callers.
You may also want to watch:
"We rely on immediate information from residents to be able to apprehend these criminals and I'd thank people for their calls. I would urge people to continue to report suspicious callers - they should never feel like they are bothering the police."
If you have information about a crime, or would like to report a suspicious incident, contact the police on 0845 3300 222, or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 5 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Halloween trail set for Letchworth this half term
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket