Meppershall dad in rooftop demo over fathers’ rights
A DAD from Meppershall has taken part in a rooftop demonstration in Justice Secretary Ken Clarke’s constituency in support of fathers’ rights.
On Saturday, Roger Crawford, of Shefford Road, scaled the roof of a Conservative club opposite Mr Clarke’s constituency office in Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire.
The 63-year-old was dressed as a court jester and was joined by fellow member of campaign group New Fathers 4 Justice, Jem Pogue.
Mr Clarke’s homes in Rushcliffe and London were simultaneously targeted by fellow members of New Fathers 4 Justice and Real Fathers for Justice.
Mr Crawford has not seen his only child, Heather, for 18 years, after what he calls “a torrid time in the family courts” fighting for visiting rights.
You may also want to watch:
New Fathers 4 Justice are campaigning for fathers and mothers to have equal rights to see their children following separation.
Mr Crawford said: “Ken Clarke is our number one target. He’s Justice Secretary and almost now alone in the Cabinet in saying that no parent should have the right to see their child in law.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 4 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 5 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 6 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 9 Council approves new measures to get to net zero by 2030
- 10 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
“The rest of the Cabinet is saying what we have been saying for years – in law every parent should have a right to see their children, unless there is a very good reason not to.”
He said Mr Clarke’s office did not make an official response to Saturday’s demonstration, but that they received a lot of support from passers-by.
Last year, in another New Fathers 4 Justice demonstration, Mr Crawford and Mr Pogue both climbed on Prime Minister David Cameron’s constituency office roof in Witney.