Memorial to hero firefighters
A PRIVATE service is being held today (Thursday) in memory of the two firefighters who died in a tower block blaze exactly a year ago. Jeff Wornham, 28, and Michael Miller, 26, died when attempting to rescue resident Natalie Close, who also died, from Ha
A PRIVATE service is being held today (Thursday) in memory of the two firefighters who died in a tower block blaze exactly a year ago.
Jeff Wornham, 28, and Michael Miller, 26, died when attempting to rescue resident Natalie Close, who also died, from Harrow Court in Stevenage.
The service, for family and colleagues, was scheduled to take place at Stevenage Fire Station, where the men were based, at 3pm. A two-minute silence was planned across the Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service.
Before the silence an old fire bell was due to be sounded. The bell, which used to be in the Old Town, has been restored by Stevenage firefighters. It will be placed at Stevenage fire station and a memorial plaque has been inscribed with the names of the two officers.
You may also want to watch:
Chief fire officer Roy Wilsher told The Comet: "Last February was an extremely difficult time for all concerned especially the families. Michael and Jeff are never far from our thoughts, especially on the first anniversary of the fire at Harrow Court.
"The service continues to serve the county of Hertfordshire in the most professional way and this is a fitting tribute to these two fine young men."
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 10 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
In October it was announced that two new streets in Stevenage will be named after the officers.
Stevenage Borough Council has registered streets in the new Stonyhall Estate as Miller Way and Wornham Avenue.
The fire is still the subject of a lengthy investigation by the Health and Safety Executive, the fire service and the Fire Brigades Union.
The reports into the fire are expected to be made public in the spring after inquests into the firefighters' deaths are held.
A Fire Brigades Union spokesman said he believed compensation had now been paid to the men's families after an "unacceptable delay".