Meeting that led to fundraiser
A CHANCE encounter led to friendship – and thousands of pounds being raised for good causes. Jon Ward spotted Marc Lawrence driving his classic Ford Escort and followed him home to ask about the car. At the time, Marc was in charge of the Mk1 register of
A CHANCE encounter led to friendship - and thousands of pounds being raised for good causes.
Jon Ward spotted Marc Lawrence driving his classic Ford Escort and followed him home to ask about the car.
At the time, Marc was in charge of the Mk1 register of the Sporting Escort Owners Club and he persuaded Jon to join. Jon is a rehabilitation engineer working in the NHS. His main job is to provide expert help for patients choosing manual and powered wheelchairs.
Marc works for MBDA in Stevenage as a production task area manager. Son Lee also works for the company as a senior project officer.
You may also want to watch:
The trip across America was not the first adventure to be undertaken by the intrepid trio in their Escorts.
In May 2003 they drove to Malta and back, a distance of 5,000 miles. And they raised about £3,400 for the Multiple Sclerosis Trust.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Halloween trail set for Letchworth this half term
"We had such a great time doing that trip that it was agreed that we should do another, but to a different destination," they said.
"We considered another trip around Europe, but during the discussions about potential destinations, some fool suggested that driving across the States would be a pretty good challenge."
And so the plans were made.
After their jaunt across the States they agreed: "We all had a fantastic time on this trip and will all remember it forever.