Meet Dawn - Bedfordshire's Bake Off hope
- Credit: Mark Bourdillon
With the 13th series of The Great British Bake Off underway, viewers have been getting to know the competitors' personalities and backstories.
One of those taking to the tent for the first time last Tuesday (September 13) was Dawn from Bedfordshire.
Dawn is an IT manager, a wife, mother of three and step-mother of two.
The 60-year-old is also a grandmother or step-grandmother to four, and is the oldest competitor to feature on this year's series.
"Dawn, a former project manager for Boris Johnson, lives in Bedfordshire where she entertains granddaughter Emmy with her hand modelled sugar figurines," presenter Noel Fielding revealed in his episode one commentary.
The eldest of three children herself, the contestant describes herself as "an artist in and out of the kitchen".
She prefers more unusual "whacky" design, which allow her to showcase her creative talent.
- 1 Possible changes to bin collections in North Herts
- 2 Stevenage Charter Fair returns this week
- 3 Two arrests made in connection with Stevenage brawl
- 4 Man reportedly 'exposed himself' in front of 14-year-old girl on Thameslink train
- 5 'Terrible' oil spill in Hitchin river causes multiple bird deaths
- 6 Stevenage stabbings: Three men suffer life-changing injuries
- 7 Strike to hit Thameslink on bumper day for Premier League football
- 8 Arlesey animal rescue's bid to stay open with charity Oktoberfest
- 9 Stevenage: Four suffer stab wounds in St Nicholas
- 10 Bereavement charity's flagship event returns after Covid
Dawn can also rise to the challenge of creating intricate patterns and designs, she says. She has a steady hand, which is particularly useful when decorating biscuits.
The challenge of the "illusion cake" is another skill up the Bedfordshire grandmother's sleeve, allowing her to produce a cake that looks almost entirely like something else.
Dawn's favourite flavours are lemon, salted caramel and "anything nutty".
One highlight for Dawn's first outing in the tent came in Episode 1's technical challenge, when she stormed to third place for her well-crafted Red Velvet cake.
She is not the first individual from the local area to compete on the Channel 4 baking series, with satellite designer Rob Smart having competed in 2013.
The Great British Bake Off returns to Channel 4 tonight (Tuesday, September 20) at 8pm for Biscuit Week.