Medical research centre opened in Stevenage in memory of Letchworth man
- Credit: Archant
A medical research wing has been opened in memory of a man who died of kidney failure at the age of 25.
The Lee Haynes Research Institute opened at Lister Hospital in Stevenage on Friday in memory of Lee Haynes, who died in 2005.
After his death his parents Sue Williams and Dave Haynes, from Letchworth GC, were inspired to raise £55,000 to establish a new facility for medical staff to carry out clinical research.
Ms Williams said: “When Lee died we were devastated. He was taken when his life was just beginning. We wanted to do something to keep his memory alive and the opening of the Lee Haynes Research Institute will do just that.”
Paul Warwicker, consultant nephrologist at Lister Hospital, said: “The new Lee Haynes Research Institute will make a tremendous difference. It gives us a wonderful, peaceful and friendly environment in which to carry out clinical research.
You may also want to watch:
“We aim to prioritise research that will be of direct benefit to patients, improving their quality of life. On a wider level, it is through research that medicine is advanced, which means that better treatments can be made available to us all.
“We are so hugely grateful to Sue and Dave, Lee’s parents, for all their hard work which will, ultimately, bring benefits to patients and help to advance medical science.”
- 1 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 2 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 3 Topping out ceremony marks significant progress to new bus interchange
- 4 Rapist faces 'considerable custodial sentence' after guilty verdict
- 5 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 6 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 9 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 10 Praise for hat-trick hero Codi Lee-Spavins from delighted Stotfold boss