Mechanical mash up of hit TV show Robot Wars returns to Stevenage
- Credit: Archant
Last year’s champions of television’s popular Robot Wars show will be fighting it out in Stevenage when Robots Live comes to town.
The winning team on the BBC2 show, Apollo, will be competing along with many other stars of the series when Robots Live returns to the Stevenage Arts and Leisure Centre for the fourth year running on Saturday and Sunday, October 7 and 8, as part of its UK tour.
Joining Apollo will be other famous faces from the new and old series of Robot Wars, including TR2, Eruption, Gabriel and Behemoth, who will all be battling it out to be crowned the UK heavyweight champion.
Joining the competitors in the arena will be the show’s very own ‘house robots’.
Keeping control of the 110kg heavyweights will be Goliath, weighing in at 1,000kg and standing five feet tall, he is capable of rolling over a car with his powerful crushing arm and tracked drive.
You may also want to watch:
Alongside him will be BattleAxe, which weighs in at 130kg and looks after the 13.6kg featherweight robots.
As well as the combat machines, the show features unique robot boxers, standing nearly six ft tall, these mechanical monsters will go toe-to-toe in a pneumatically-powered fist fight.
- 1 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 2 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal
- 9 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
You might also get a glimpse of some of the other crazy and famous TV and movie robots, with a Dalek almost certain to interrupt the show at some point.
All of the action is housed safely in a purpose built, 6,000kg arena which is equipped with its own array of weapons including the pit, floor flipper and two massive hammers which are controlled by the audience.
Dave Young, captain of team Apollo, said: “After winning the new series of Robot Wars, we can’t wait to get in the arena again and fight in front of a live audience.”
There will be four action-packed shows over the weekend.
Shows are at 3pm & 6pm on Saturday, October 7, and 12 noon and 3.30pm on Sunday, October 8.
Tickets cost £14 for under 16s, £16 for adults and £50 for families of four.
They are available to book online from www.robotslive.co.uk or www.gordon-craig.co.uk. Alternatively you can buy them from the Gordon Craig Theatre box office either in person at the Lytton Way venue or by calling 01438 363200.