Biggleswade hair salon wins prestigious industry award
- Credit: Archant
A hair salon in Biggleswade has been named one of the country’s top hairdressing teams after winning at HJ’s British Hairdressing Business Awards 2018.
Maxwells Professional Hairdressing collected the Salon Team of the Year award during a ceremony hosted by TV presenter Vernon Kay.
The event was attended by more than 800 hairdressers, VIPs and household names.
Ian Hendry of Maxwells said: “It feels absolutely amazing to win. This is the award we really wanted and we got it.
“The team and the clients, that’s what it’s all about.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m just sorry that not everyone from the salon could make it on the night – some of them had to stay behind to hold the fort. To them, and to everyone, thank you.”
The Salon Team of the Year category celebrates teams of three or more employees. Maxwells is a home-grown family business and is now one of the largest salons in Bedfordshire, with a team of more than 40 hairdressers.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 3 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 4 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 5 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
They impressed the judges with their team strengths, the contributions they all make to the financial success of the business and the work they do remember their late friend and colleague Kirsty Buttigieg.
In Kirsty’s memory, the salon hosts its own Buttercup Awards – named after Kirsty – as a way of encouraging excellence among employees, and regularly hosts fundraising events for various cancer charities.
British Hairdressing Business Awards executive director Jayne Lewis-Orr said: “Huge congratulations to Maxwells on being named Salon of the Year.
“They are fantastic ambassadors for the industry with skills and vision that make them the perfect winners.
“Through these awards, we champion and celebrate the very best within British hairdressing – everyone from the front of house team to the business director.”
Maxwells will be hosting a charity disco on Saturday, October 20, in Kirsty’s honour. Funds raised will go to the Sue Ryder St John’s Hospice in Moggerhanger.
The event will take place at St Andrews Masonic Rooms in Biggleswade from 7pm to 12 midnight. Tickets cost £10, and are available from the salon in Hitchin Street.
The salon is also looking to expand its team of hairdressers. To apply, download an application form at maxwellshair.com, or drop off a CV and covering letter to the salon.