Matt’s goal shows just what quality he has, says Stevenage boss
- Credit: Archant
Teddy Sheringham says the goal Jamille Matt scored against AFC Wimbledon shows just what sort of quality the striker has in him.
Matt, who is on loan from Fleetwood Town, returned to the Boro starting XI at the weekend after missing out on the club’s previous match, a 1-0 loss at Yeovil Town, because he was cup tied.
He played the full 90 minutes against Wimbledon, first with attacking midfielder Tom Pett playing just off him and then for the final 35 minutes with fellow striker Armand Gnanduillet up front alongside him.
Scoring his goal, the striker started on the left touchline before playing a ball inside to Jerome Okimo and making his way into the box.
There he received the ball back from his team-mate with two defenders in close proximity, and he touched the ball slightly away from goal to make some space before unleashing a superb curled effort into the far corner.
You may also want to watch:
“I think that he’s come in and he’s given us a real lift in the way that he plays the game,” Sheringham said.
“He holds the ball up nicely for us, and keeps it in possession which isn’t easy to do.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 5 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 6 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 9 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 10 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
“He works very hard as well, so for him to get a goal like that - any goal for me for a centre forward is a good goal - but when you score a goal like that it shows what good quality he’s got.
“He’s been a great acquisition to Stevenage Football Club.”