Match report: Stevenage 1 Morecambe 1

Simon Walton

Simon Walton - Credit: Archant

Morecambe grab a late equaliser for a deserved share of the points (also includes man of match vote)

Stevenage dropped two points as Morecambe struck late to take a share of the spoils.

Boro had taken a second-half lead when Simon Walton sent Scott Davies the wrong way from the penalty spot following a foul on David McAllister.

But with just five minutes of the game remaining some woeful marking at a Morecambe corner allowed Padraig Amond to head in, unmarked, from all of 10 yards to earn his side a deserved point on the road.

In his programme notes Boro chairman Phil Wallace said Stevenage have set themselves up ‘as entertainers’, but there was nothing for the home fans to get excited about in the first half-hour of the match.

You may also want to watch:

In fact the most entertaining spectacle was away from the pitch and in the away end where a Morecambe fan dressed as a duck was banging a drum.

Jack Redshaw had already tested Chris Day in the home goal before, with 30 minutes gone, the men in purple had themselves a purple patch.

Most Read

Firstly Day was off his line to block from Andy Parrish and then when the keeper failed to get to another through ball, Paul Mullin was teed up with a great chance to score but side-footed his effort straight at Ronnie Henry.

Mullin then got in on goal only for Darius Charles to make a block, while another effort from the visitors flew just wide of goal.

Boro finally went close when Roarie Deacon fired low and just wide of goal, but then the whistle blew to end what had been a disappointing half from Boro’s perspective.

Stevenage were dealt a huge slice of luck early in the second half when a ball was flicked on by Morecambe for Mullin to run on to 40 yards from goal, and although he was at least a yard onside he was flagged by the official.

It was the type of decision that leaves club staff jumping up and down in disbelief – and the Morecambe bench did just that.

When Boro took the lead, it came from the spot with just over an hour on the clock. Mark Hughes was the culprit as he scythed down McAllister, and up stepped Walton to send Davies the wrong way.

Though Morecambe were perhaps the side more deserving of a lead, Boro now had it and they managed to find a little swagger. McAllister went on a smart run while Deacon looked to get forward when possible, and in reply Morecambe played hopeful balls behind which were eaten up by the home defence.

And yet for all of their new found attacking confidence, Boro were undone by a simple corner routine at the other end.

Devitt was the taker and Amond took one step to the right as the set piece dropped to him and he flicked a looping header past Day to earn his side a share of the points.

Stevenage (4-4-2): Day; Henry, Okimo, Charles, Ashton (Whelpdale 10); Deacon, McAllister, Lee (Adams 59), Walton; Beardsley (Brunt 87), Barnard. Subs: Beasant, Dembele, Pett, Jebb.

Morecambe (4-4-2): Davies; Wilson, Parrish, Hughes, Edwards; Devitt (McGowan 86), Williams, Drummond, Kenyon (McReady 75); Redshaw (Amond 33), Mullin. Subs: Arestidou, Watson, Bondswell.

Ref: Heywood

Att: 2464 (87 away)

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter