Match report: Plymouth Argyle 1 Stevenage 1

Graham Westley

Graham Westley - Credit: Archant

Boro miss out on all three points thanks to a late, late penalty - and Graham Westley is not happy

Stevenage manager Graham Westley was left fuming after Plymouth scored a 98th minute equaliser from the penalty spot to deny his side a first win on the road since March 1.

The Boro boss was left feeling incensed by a number of decisions he felt went against his side throughout this game even before Deane Smalley fired home from the spot two minutes after the six that the fourth official had added on at the end of the game.

Westley says Kelvin Mellor should have been shown a red card in the first half for a handball that stopped Roarie Deacon getting through on goal, and yet the defender only received a yellow.

The Boro boss also believed there was a foul on Charlie Lee by River Allen as the Stevenage midfielder made a break into the home side’s penalty area only to be challenged by the Plymouth substitute when shooting at goal.

Both decisions went against Stevenage, and when Smalley stepped up in the dying moments to score the equaliser it simply added insult to injury for the Boro boss.

Stevenage began the match with three changes from Saturday as Adam Marriott and Harry Worley missed out through injury while Tom Pett was on the bench.

Most Read

In came Roarie Deacon on the left of midfield, Andy Bond just inside him and Jerome Okimo at left-back.

There was an early scare for Boro as Darius Charles clashed heads with Anthony O’Connor, leaving the striker to be replaced at half-time by Connor Calcutt.

There was very little in the way of goalmouth action in the first half as Dean Wells did a job to mark Reuban Reid out of the game.

Instead, the hosts’ main threat came down the wings with Lewis Alessandra, on the right, a constant thorn in the side of the Boro back line.

Stevenage, though, did not look too troubled, and they duly took the lead 10 minutes into the second period when Lee sent over a long pass to Chris Whelpdale who did well to keep the ball in play before crossing for Calcutt to nod in his first goal for the club.

Jason Banton fired low from 20 yards as Plymouth tried to get back into the game, but Sam Beasant got behind it. Then came Lee’s chance only for him to be denied by Allen.

Stevenage thought they had done all that was needed to be done, but in the dying moments an arm went up in the box and once the linesman flagged for a penalty Smalley made no mistake to deny Boro victory.

Plymouth: McCormick, Mellor, Cox (Allen 60), Nelson, Alessandra, Banton, Reid (Morgan 60), Harvey (Smalley 60), McHugh, O’Connor, Hartley. Subs: Bittner, Purrington, Blizzard.

Stevenage: Beasant, Dembele, Ashton, Bond, Whelpdale (Pett 80), Walton, Charles (Calcutt 46), Wells, Lee (Johnson 90), Okimo, Deacon. Subs: Day.

Ref: Kevin Johnson