Match preview: Stevenage v Plymouth Argyle
- Credit: Archant
Chris Day is back in goal for Boro with Joronen on international duty with Finland
Stevenage host Plymouth Argyle at the Lamex Stadium on Saturday.
Teddy Sheringham’s men will be looking for a second win in three games, but they come up against a side flying high in League Two with 12 points from their opening five matches.
While Boro are among the lowest scorers in the league so far with just five goals from five games, this weekend’s opponents have double that amount with seven players having all registered goals.
The latest to score for them is Ryan Brunt, the striker who had a spell on loan at Stevenage last season while at Bristol Rovers.
A current Boro loanee, Tom Hitchcock, scored in the 1-1 draw with Dagenham & Redbridge last week. His loan spell from MK Dons ends after this weekend’s game.
Last time they met
- 1 New date for Stevenage Marks & Spencer opening
- 2 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 3 Two boys arrested after police helicopter search
- 4 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 5 Couple sentenced for theft and fraud after stealing from elderly victims
- 6 Seriously injured assault victim waited FOUR hours in ambulance outside Lister
- 7 Driver disqualified after admitting to drinking wine at the wheel
- 8 More than 80 vacancies up for grabs at Stevenage Airbus
- 9 Graffiti artist's NHS tribute in Stevenage underpass
- 10 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
There was late drama in both matches between the two sides last season.
In March, QPR loanee Bruno Andrade scored an 89th minute winner as Boro beat the Pilgrims 1-0 at the Lamex. Earlier in the season, in even more dramatic circumstances, Argyle’s Dean Smalley scored a 98th minute penalty to earn his side a draw.
Boro could include new signings Jack Jebb (one-year deal) and Connor Smith (one-month loan from Watford) in their squad, but there will be no place for on-loan Fulham goalkeeper Jesse Joronen who is away with Finland on international duty. Chris Day will resume duties in goal. Dean Parrett (calf) could also be recalled.
Plymouth will be without striker Reuben Reid, the club’s top scorer in each of the past two seasons, due to a hamstring injury. Josh Simpson is also likely to miss out with a groin problem.