Massive electrical goods fire on Hitchin industrial estate
- Credit: Archant
An electrical fire in Hitchin’s industrial area has sent massive plumes of black smoke billowing into the sky above North Herts.
Fire crews are at the scrapyard in Cadwell Lane after getting the call at 9.40am to reports of a fire of electrical goods in the open.
Firefighters from Hitchin, Baldock & Letchworth and Stevenage stations are on the scene, with the aerial ladder platform despatched from Stevenage. Police and paramedics also there.
Police have told the Comet nobody is injured. Officers have closed the road at its junctions with Woolgrove Road and Wallace Way.
John Holland, one of the many people contacting the Comet about the fire, said: “It’s just black smoke everywhere in the sky, going straight up. The wind keeps moving it about all the time.”
The black smoke can be seen from Letchworth and Stevenage.
The Comet is awaiting further details from the emergency services.
- 1 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 2 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 3 A505 driver left with serious injuries after car leaves road near Hitchin
- 4 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
- 5 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 6 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 7 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 8 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 9 Thousands set to bring out the bunting for Jubilee thanks to grant funding
- 10 Michelin-star chef to kick off Sea Change campaign with tasty seafood samples
A Great Northern spokesman said: “The fire is not affecting rail services at the moment but emergency services are keeping us up to date in case any safety concerns arise.”
A spokeswoman for Luton Airport said the smoke was having “zero impact on flights”.