Mary Berry meets team from Letchworth’s Garden House Hospice Care who say ‘it’s the icing on the cake’
- Credit: Archant
The team from Letchworth’s Garden House Hospice Care work so hard for our community – so it was nice to see them take a short time-out relaxing at a summer party featuring BBC star Mary Berry.
A delegation from the hospice met the much-loved judge of the hit show Great British Bake-Off having made a few of their own mouth-watering cakes.
Their cupcakes were so good, Mary – who knows a good cake when she sees one – awarded their high-quality offerings second place during a cake-baking competition held at a garden party thrown by the High Sheriff of Herts, Will Hobhouse.
Tina Lewis from Garden House told the Comet: “It was the ‘icing on the cake’ to meet Mary Berry, and to have her sample our cakes that were baked by Roma Hawke, Shirley Hurst and myself.
“I’m glad we didn’t know she was arriving until the day, that would have been extra pressure.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a wonderful day, a great team effort from across the hospice to put on such a wonderful display.
“The florists and gardeners created a beautiful garden display to present the cakes.”
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 8 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 9 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 10 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
“At Garden House Hospice Care we provide cakes and tea to patients and families every day – it was wonderful to be invited by the High Sherriff to join the Great Herts Bakeoff.”