Marriotts pupils step their way to success in dance competition at Stevenage Leisure Centre
- Credit: Archant
Pupils from Marriotts School in Stevenage danced for social justice on Monday as they stepped their way to third place on the first day of the Be Your Best Stevenage Rock Challenge.
The contest which took place at the Gordon Craig Theatre, gave 14 Hertfordshire school teams eight minutes to dance, sing and act their way through a soundtrack.
They practised all day before performing a show for friends and parents in the evening.
Marriotts pupils chose a French revolutionary theme much like that of the musical Les Miserables.
Their performance was good enough to take them through to the regional finals of the event at Portsmouth Guildhall in June.
You may also want to watch:
The event is Sponsored by the Be Your Best Foundation, which steers young people towards healthy lifestyles. The challenge was supported by Hertfordshire Constabulary and Stevenage Community Trust.
Dancers from Barnwell School also took part in the challenge on Wednesday. Their performance called Trapped Between a Rock and a Hard Face, focused on the current refugee crisis with striking fence set pieces, which created a moving barrier, and a dramatic, building soundtrack and fast paced choreography.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 3 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 4 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 5 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 6 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 9 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 10 Misogyny as a hate crime 'would get us nowhere'