Man who robbed Hitchin butchers jailed
A MAN who robbed a butchers was yesterday (Thursday) jailed for more than six years.
Mark Whelan, 38, of Manning Court, Houghton Regis, pleaded guilty to the robbery outside Hitchin’s O’Brien butchers shop on July 2 last year.
The robbery happened in the evening when two women left the premises with the takings for the day.
Whelan approached and robbed the women of those takings.
He was sentenced to six years and four months, following a hearing at St Albans Crown Court last Thursday.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Constable Sam Casey, said: “The sentence passed on Mark Whelan today shows the level of the severity of the crime he has committed which was a terrifying ordeal for the victims involved.
“This is a message to all those thinking of committing a similar crime – you will be caught and taken before the courts and dealt with accordingly.”
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
Whelan had pleaded guilty on the first day of his trial.