Man in 60s rescued from Shefford flat by on-call firefighters after blaze starts in kitchen
- Credit: Archant
A man in his 60s was rescued from his Shefford flat yesterday by on-call firefighters after a blaze which started in the kitchen while cooking.
Beds fire service received a call at 3.52pm to reports of a blaze at a flat in Cooper’s Court, with on-call firefighters from Shefford Community Fire Station on the scene within nine minutes.
On arrival they found a small fire in the kitchen which had started while cooking.
The flat was heavily smoke logged, with firefighters rescuing a man and assisting a woman in her 40s who was suffering from smoke inhalation. Both were passed into the care of the ambulance service.
Firefighters left the scene shortly before 5pm after ventilating the property and clearing smoke from the surrounding flats.
The fire service is urging people to take care in the kitchen, encouraging the public to look at safety advice on www.bedsfire.com.
You may also want to watch:
The website also has details about being an on-call firefighter, with the service keen to recruit more members of the public to help protect their community.
For more information about the paid role visit www.bedsfire.com.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 3 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 6 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 7 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 8 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash