Man from Letchworth who shared a home with Royston author Helen Bailey charged with her murder
- Credit: Archant
Ian Stewart – the partner of author Helen Bailey, whose body was found in the grounds of the couple’s home – has been charged with her murder.
The 55-year-old, who is originally from Letchworth, was re-arrested on Friday – having been arrested and then bailed earlier in the week.
Mr Stewart had been living with Ms Bailey, 51, at their Royston home in Baldock Road.
Ms Bailey was reported missing along with her dachshund dog Boris by Mr Stewart on April 14, three days after she had last been seen in public.
On the month anniversary of her disappearance on May 11, he released a statement to the press saying: “Helen, wherever you might be I hope you hear this message and listen carefully.
You may also want to watch:
“We miss you and Boris so much. We are shattered in so many ways. Your mum, dad, John, Tracey, the lads and me plus so many others all need you.
“You bring so much to so many people in ways you don’t even realise.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 3 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 4 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 5 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
“We promised each other 30 years – please keep that promise and come home. Whatever has happened, wherever you are I will come and get you and Boris and give you whatever you need.”
Mr Stewart was also last night charged with perverting the course of justice after reporting Ms Bailey as missing to police, hiding her body and preventing lawful burial.
A post-mortem is due to take place on Monday and specialist searches at her home are continuing.
Mr Stewart will appear before Hatfield Remand Court today (Saturday).
Helen’s family have asked for privacy at this time.
Ms Bailey met Mr Stewart online in 2011 – and they had been living in Baldock Road, Royston, since 2013.