Man dies after incident at Letchworth swimming pool
AN ELDERLY man has died after being taken ill at North Herts Leisure Centre, in Letchworth GC, earlier today (Thursday).
An air ambulance was called to the leisure centre at approximately 9.30am today and two ambulances also attended the scene.
John Robinson, strategic director of customer services at North Herts District Council said: "We can confirm that an elderly man was taken to Lister Hospital, Stevenage by paramedics at approximately 9.30am this morning after being taken ill at the swimming pool. Pool lifeguards resuscitated the man at the poolside until paramedics arrived and took over.
"The gentleman was transferred by ambulance to Lister hospital in Stevenage, however unfortunately, he was pronounced dead after arrival at the hospital. The gentleman’s next of kin have been informed.
"On behalf of NHDC and Stevenage Leisure Limited who manage the leisure centre, I would like to offer our deepest condolences and sympathy to the gentleman’s family.
You may also want to watch:
"Following an initial investigation by the Council’s Environmental Health Officers, we have now been granted permission to re-open the swimming pool.”
The helicopter landed nearby ,in the grounds of Letchworth Rugby Club, but the man was taken to Lister Hospital, Stevenage, by a regular ambulance.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 5 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 8 Halloween trail set for Letchworth this half term
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket