Man arrested for drink driving after car travels eight miles the wrong way down the A1(M) from Stevenage to Hatfield
- Credit: Archant
A man was arrested during the early hours of this morning on suspicion of drink driving after a car travelled about eight miles the wrong way down a motorway.
The 26-year-old, from Southampton, drove a silver Ford Fiesta southbound on the northbound carriageway of A1(M) from Junction 7 for Stevenage to Junction 4 for Hatfield at 1.42am.
Police, who were alerted by members of the public, closed the road and created a road block at Junction 4.
The vehicle collided with a police car at 1.51am, but no-one was injured.
A man was arrested and remains in custody.
You may also want to watch:
The road was reopened at 2.42am after the car was recovered.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 9 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 10 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round