Major water works start in Hitchin today
- Credit: Archant
Major maintenance work has begun in Hitchin today in an attempt to improve the water network in the town and surrounding areas – with motorists set to face months of misery.
Affinity Water contractors Amey will be installing new pipework between Waitrose in Bedford Road and Windmill Hill Reservoir to increase the flow of water at peak periods.
They assure customers the water supply will not be affected while work goes on – but motorists have been warned that delays are likely.
The one-way stretch of Bedford Road will have a lane closed from today until Friday, February 26, with Brand Street – which only reopened after work carried out by Anglia Water to fix ‘sinkhole’ issues two weeks ago – being closed again to traffic from Bedford Road from Monday, February 29, until Friday, April 29.
Hermitage Road will have no vehicle access from Bancroft from Saturday, April 30, to Friday, June 10. There will also be limited access to Windmill Hill from Saturday, June 11, until Friday, July 15.
You may also want to watch:
Wymondley Road will also be closed between St Michael’s Road and Gypsy Lane from Monday, June 6, to Friday, July 8, with further parking restrictions to be announced.
Councillor Derrick Ashley, who represents Hitchin South on Herts County Council, said: “I hope people take into account the disruption when planning to travel to Hitchin.”
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 3 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 4 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed