Macmillan Cancer Support launch World’s Biggest Coffee Morning
- Credit: Archant
A CANCER charity has launched an appeal for people across Hertfordshire to drink coffee and eat cake to help it raise vital funds to build a £3m cancer centre at the Lister Hospital.
Macmillan Cancer Support wants this year’s World’s Biggest Coffee Morning to be the biggest ever.
The charity is hoping 600 coffee mornings will take place across the county, attracting thousands of people and raising more than £800,000.
This year, the announcement that a £3m Macmillan Cancer Centre will be built at the Lister Hospital means the local importance of events such as the coffee mornings is even greater.
Macmillan’s fundraising manager for Hertfordshire, Kerry Briars, said: “We want to make sure no one has to face cancer alone but we can’t do it without the amazing people who fundraise for us.
You may also want to watch:
“Last year we raised a record-breaking amount of money from the World’s Biggest Coffee Morning and we really hope we can repeat that again this year.
“We’re asking people to once again invite their friends, relatives, or workmates to come for coffee and help support Macmillan.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 4 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 5 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 6 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 9 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 10 Council approves new measures to get to net zero by 2030
“It’s a fun and easy way to raise money to help Macmillan be there for people with cancer and their families when they need us most.”
She added: “Sadly the number of people being diagnosed with cancer is increasing every year and that means Macmillan’s support for people living with cancer is in more demand than ever.
“Every pound raised in events like World’s Biggest Coffee Morning will help us fund our vital services.”
The new centre will include consistent access to a team of Macmillan welfare benefits advisors who can help patients with their financial worries, and hold more consultation rooms to allow patients more privacy. There will also be more working areas for nurses and staff to prepare drugs to improve efficiency and reduce waiting times, as well as gardens for patients to relax in while undergoing treatment.
The official World’s Biggest Coffee Morning is on September 27 but events can be held at any time.
To sign up and find out more visit www.mac millan.org.uk/lister or call 0845 602 1246.