Luton Airport petition gathers pace
- Credit: Archant
THE Comet’s campaign calling for the Luton Airport expansion plans to be decided by an independent body is gathering pace.
It’s been a busy week, with hundreds more people signing our petition, plans for a public meeting, and North Herts District Council (NHDC) calling for the secretary of state to take note.
Our petition has now amassed more than 2,900 signatures – more than a quarter of what we need.
But there is still a way to go, so if you haven’t signed yet, please do.
Cllr David Barnard, whose Hitchwood, Offa and Hoo ward borders the airport, is also urging people to sign up.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “The transport infrastructure in North Hertfordshire clearly is over-stretched at the moment.
“To expect it to cope with the massive increase in traffic through our limited trunk road network, and our tiny rural lanes, in order to access Luton airport, with passenger vehicles, employee’s vehicles, and the larger and more damaging commercial vehicles needed to supply the airport, is unattainable.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 7 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 10 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
“Until there is a workable solution to this enormous problem, the application must be seriously flawed.
“Such applications should only be decided after public enquiry, and at Government level.”
As the petition gathers momentum, North Herts District Council’s cabinet unanimously agreed this week to support calling in the airport’s planning application.
Currently, major shareholders of the airport, Luton Borough Council, will be the ones to decide whether the application – which outlines works to allow for the expansion – should be approved.
Cllr Tom Brindley, portfolio holder for planning, transport and enterprise, told fellow councillors: “Herts County Council suggest this is called in by the secretary of state and I support that.
“I am asking for this to be heard outside of Luton Borough.”
A public meeting has been organised by Luton and District Association for the Control of Aircraft Noise (LADACAN).
It will be held on Monday at 7pm in Breachwood Green Village Hall, with speakers from the county and district council. The format is Q&A.
• The Comet has this week launched a poster promoting our petition and we are encouraging people to print it off to highlight the cause. You can do so by clicking on the link in the top right-hand corner. You can also sign the petition by clicking on the link.