Long to reign over us, but not over the A1(M) - Stevenage council leader’s reply to spoof article suggesting Junction 8 could be re-named after the Queen.
- Credit: Archant
Naming Junction 8 of the A1(M) after the Queen has not met the favour of Stevenage’s leading lady, council chief Sharon Taylor.
Reacting to a joke article published on satirical website News Biscuit, which suggests Ms Taylor has renamed Junction 8 Elizabeth Junction to honour the Queen Elizabeth II in the year of her 90th birthday, Ms Taylor said it would be better to dub it Highways England.
Asked by the Comet what she thought of the article which referred to Crossrail and Big Ben being named the named Elizabeth Line and Elizabeth Tower, Ms Taylor replied: “I think not, perhaps we could name it after Highways England in an attempt to encourage them to get on with a proper widening scheme for the road.”
The article suggested the Queen would be in town to pose for pictures at the ‘queues likely’ sign near the notoriously busy junction and stated the Crown Estate would pay tribute to Stevenage in return by increasing rent charges on its lands.
Ms Taylor said it would indeed be a good idea to celebrate the year of the Queen’s 90th birthday because her reign coincides so closely with the town’s history.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “Her Majesty’s reign has so closely coincided with the 70 years in which our town has developed and grown that I do think we should consider as the town centre regeneration scheme develops how we might commemorate her reign. Perhaps Comet readers might like to make some suggestions?”
To read the full article online visit www.newsbiscuit.com/2016/02/24.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 5 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 6 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 7 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 8 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 9 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 10 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery