London 2012 Olympic legacy helps North Herts sports clubs
- Credit: Archant
A CLUBHOUSE used by a variety of sports clubs and groups will officially re-launch this weekend, thanks to a £46,000 grant from Olympic legacy funding.
Ickleford Sports and Recreation Club received a funding boost from a Sport England Olympic and Paralympic legacy fund, enabling it to upgrade changing rooms, remove asbestos from the ceilings and install a new boiler.
The building is home to Ickleford Cricket Club, Hitchin Belles and Hearts’ Ladies football clubs, Ickleford Squash Club and Ickleford Petanque Club.
Club chairman Jason Gornall said: “We were delighted and extremely excited to have secured this huge grant.
“Our club has seen thousands of local people get into sport since it opened its doors in 1975. Although we have always managed to cover the day to day running costs of the club, what we desperately needed was the funding to modernise and upgrade the facility to ensure it meets the needs of all those who use it today.
You may also want to watch:
“This money has allowed us to do this and I know will bring enormous benefit to all our users and the local community.”
To mark the works at the facility, a celebratory fun day will be held tomorrow (Sunday) from 10am.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
There will be football matches in the morning, cricket in the afternoon, a one day racquetball tournament between 2pm and 5pm, and taster sessions for Petanque.
The bar will also be open and there will be a bouncy castle for children, and live music and a barbecue in the evening.