'A needless drain on resources' - fly-tippers strike at refurbished garage site
- Credit: Stevenage Borough Council
A recently refurbished garage site in Stevenage has been subjected to fly-tipping, costing the council time and money to clear.
Wood, bricks and and other garden and household waste has been dumped at the site in Valley Way.
There is also damage to a metal fence, which was likely caused by a vehicle, allowing the fly-tipper to push rubbish through.
Steve Dupoy, assistant director at Stevenage Borough Council, said: “Fly-tipping is never acceptable – it’s a needless drain on our resources, costing us both time and money to clear and investigate.
"If anyone has any information on the incident at the garages at Valley Way, they should get in touch with us with any details that may help us to find the perpetrator.
“Remember, if you’re paying someone to dispose of your waste, you should always check that they’re a licensed waste carrier or you could face a fine.”
In January, the Comet reported that there had been a 50 per cent increase in fly-tipping in Hertfordshire between April and December 2020.
In Stevenage the data showed that the monthly average so far in 2020/21 is 252 incidents a month – which is 65 per cent higher than the average in 2019/20.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of harassment after Stevenage and Preston incidents
- 2 What can I do and what opens when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday, April 12?
- 3 Who is Slove? Spate of Stevenage graffiti prompts police appeal
- 4 Pictured: The first pints, haircuts, swims and more as lockdown restrictions ease
- 5 Inside the breathtaking £2.6million historic house that has its own 'party barn'
- 6 Have you seen missing man from Stevenage?
- 7 Stevenage's play areas set to reopen for first time in months
- 8 Former Hitchin and Stevenage MP Shirley Williams dies aged 90
- 9 Drive-in cinema arriving at London Luton Airport
- 10 Have you seen wanted Stevenage man?
If you have any information relating to this incident, email details to email@example.com.
If you're paying someone to dispose of your waste, don't forget to check that they're registered.