Litter picking is a delicious treat for Hitchin dog Hugo
- Credit: Archant
A litter-loving Labrador from Hitchin has taken rubbish collecting duties into his own hands – or paws – after sweet wrappers and cans were left scattered along the route of his morning walk.
Joy Bennett of Ninesprings Way has been walking her two dogs Hugo and Digger along the stream at the bottom of the street for the last 18 months.
And Hugo – who she describes as ‘the big fat one’ – has taken it upon himself to pick up any rubbish that is lying about.
Joy, 58, said: “He does it for a biscuit really. He has never liked picking up sticks or leaves, so he picks up rubbish and litter and then brings it back for a treat.
“We picked up half a poo bag’s worth today – things like cans and sweet wrappers.
“It’s a busy footpath so people drop lots of rubbish, I just think he deserves to get some recognition for his hard work.”
This is not the first time the 10-year-old pooch has helped out North Herts District Council’s refuse collecting team.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 3 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 4 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 5 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 6 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 7 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 8 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
- 9 Here's what we know so far about the new Covid variant
- 10 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
The family used to live by Hitchin Cricket Club on the other side of town and would take daily walks around the Lucas Lane grounds where Hugo would also put his litter picking skills to good use.
Joy, who is retired, said: “He loves doing it but I think he should have a little high vis jacket saying ‘refuse collector’ on it.”