Lister wards reopen after outbreak of vomiting bug

TWO of the three wards closed at Lister Hospital last week after an outbreak of norovirus have now reopened.

The East and North Herts NHS Trust closed three of the 21 wards at the Stevenage site in a bid to contain any further spread of the infection which causes vomiting and diarrhoea.

Since the outbreak on Tuesday last week two wards have reopened.

A spokesman for the Trust said: “It will be reviewed today (Thursday) and, if things remain as they have been and there are no new cases, we will start a deep clean process and open the final ward by the weekend.”

He reiterated that those thinking of visiting relatives and loved ones should not do so if they have these symptoms until at least three days after they have cleared up.

“Levels of norovirus in the community remain high and this continues to pose a risk,” he said.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter