Lister Hospital GP dies from coronavirus
- Credit: Archant
An Iranian GP based at Lister Hospital in Stevenage has sadly died from COVID-19.
Dr Abdorreza Sedghi, who came to the UK to pursue a career in general practice, died on Wednesday night at the Royal Papworth Hospital in Cambridge.
Nick Carver, chief executive of the East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, which runs Lister, said: “It is with deep sadness that I confirm the news that one of our colleagues, Dr Abdorreza Sedghi, has passed away.
“Abdy, as he was known, contracted coronavirus in April and sadly passed away at the Royal Papworth Hospital.
“Abdy joined the Central Herts GP Training Scheme in August 2019 and was based at Lister Hospital in Stevenage.
You may also want to watch:
“Abdy made a big impact with his charisma and personality. He was devoted to his patients, taking time to understand their problems and worries.”
Mr Carver added: “As one team, we offer our very sincere condolences to his family and friends and mourn the loss of a greatly valued colleague.
- 1 Concerns raised for homeless man recovering from COVID-19
- 2 Arrest made after indecent exposure incident
- 3 When will bins be collected in North Hertfordshire again?
- 4 Work begins on £20m John Barker Place regeneration
- 5 Stevenage COVID-19 cases fall as Herts death toll doubles
- 6 14 beautiful pictures showcase snowy Stevenage and Hitchin
- 7 Herts COVID-19 fatalities surge as UK death toll surpasses major milestone
- 8 Health column: The pivotal role GPs play in delivering the COVID-19 vaccination
- 9 Quadruple amputee learns to sew with prosthetics to raise money to help deprived African children
- 10 Market Theatre planning application withdrawn after community backlash to flats plan
“We are providing support to our colleagues at this difficult time.”
Abdy’s next of kin have been informed and the family have asked for their privacy to be respected.
Abdy is the first Lister Hospital worker to have passed away from COVID-19, and also the first worker at the East and North Herts NHS Trust to have died from the virus.