Lisa’s lovelies are going for gold at Biggleswade Zumba class
- Credit: Archant
A Zumba instructor who once performed in West End musicals is using her acting skills to help bring lively fitness classes to the slightly older generation.
Lisa Hillier, a mother-of-two from Potton, used to appear in musicals like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Mamma Mia.
But when she left acting to bring up her family, she decided to train as a fitness instructor.
Now she runs Zumba Gold classes for groups of more senior citizens at the Weatherley Centre in Biggleswade. Her oldest group member is 87 and the youngest in her 50s – and by all accounts they are loving it!
Lisa says the mixture of gentle exercise and social stimulation makes the classes a massive hit with the oldies and she has just opened a second class in the town due to popular demand.
You may also want to watch:
“They love it,” she said.
“They build the Zumba classes into their weekly routine and they can’t wait to come along.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 3 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 4 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 5 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 6 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 7 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 8 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 9 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 10 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
“It’s a low impact, low intensity class and is very gentle on the body.
“We don’t jump or twist. We’ve got people with all sorts of conditions including high blood pressure, arthritis and osteoporosis.
“It enables the older generation to keep fit and then there’s the social aspect as well.
“It’s a very busy class and everyone gets on with each other. It’s like a little family.
“There’s also a nostalgic element because we play music like the Charleston and the Tango. But then they like more modern songs as well like Uptown Funk by Bruno Mars.
“It’s also really great for the memory because they have to remember seven steps and then repeat them.”
Lisa’s classes take place at the Weatherley Centre on Tuesdays and Fridays from 10am to 11am.
There is also a class on Mondays at Gamlingay Eco Hub from 10am to 11am and one at Sandy Conservative Club on Wednesdays from 10.45am to 11.45am.
To find out more contact Lisa on 07782 100376