Lightning flash and a close shave with death
A GARDENER got the shock of his life when he was nearly struck by lightning. David Banbury, 47, from Letchworth GC was working on a garden in Maxwell Road in Stevenage during the storm on Friday. The landscape gardener told The Comet: I was tidying up t
A GARDENER got the shock of his life when he was nearly struck by lightning.
David Banbury, 47, from Letchworth GC was working on a garden in Maxwell Road in Stevenage during the storm on Friday.
The landscape gardener told The Comet: "I was tidying up the drive when it started to rain. I just wanted to finish what I was doing when I heard what sounded like a gas explosion above me. Then there was a massive flash of lightning by me and it felt like a ghost walked through me. I felt like something went through me.
"My mobile and my watch both stopped at this time. For the rest of the day I was walking round like a zombie.
You may also want to watch:
"Then I noticed that the lightning must have cracked a two-inch thick paving slab in half - that made me realise how close I came to being killed.
"The lightning was just 12 inches away from me. I think someone must be looking over me.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 4 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 9 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 10 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
"My attitude towards thunderstorms has now changed and I would feel nervous if I was out in a storm in the future.