Life-saving device donated to Letchworth football club

A COUPLE who continue to donate life-saving devices to the community visited a football club on Tuesday after their latest fundraising effort.

Barrie and Brenda Irons presented Letchworth Garden City Eagles YFC with a defibrillator, after raising the funds through converting VHS tapes to DVDs.

The Stotfold residents became trustees of charity Sudden Adult Death Syndrome (SADS UK) after their son David lost his life to the condition in 1979, aged 13.

Mr Irons, 70, said: “We spoke to Letchworth football club and they bit our arm off, they were so enthusiastic.

“Some day it may sadly be used but there’s an 80 per cent chance that it will bring them back whereas with CPR it’s 15 to 20 per cent.

“They’re absolutely fantastic - the machine talks to you and it tells you what to do. They’re so simple to use.

“We’re hoping it never happens but if something did happen at these football clubs or schools they’ve got it to hand.”

Most Read

The couple have now donated 12 defibrillators, which restore the rhythm of a heart once a person goes into cardiac arrest, to institutions across the area.

So far �18,000 has been raised for the cause with devices located at Stotfold Football Club, Arlesey Football Club, Fearnhill School in Letchworth GC and Samuel Whitbread Community College in Shefford.

Anne Jolly, founder of SADS UK, added: “SADS UK are pleased that Barrie and Brenda Irons and family have supported the charity so significantly, raising awareness and funds to put life-saving defibrillators in place.

“We are glad that LGC Eagles YFC will have this life-saving equipment readily available for players and spectators.”

For more information about heart rhythm disorders that may put people at risk of SADS contact Anne Jolly on 01277 811215, email info@sadsuk.org or visit www.sadsuk.org

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter