Liberal Democrats throw weight behind campaign
THE Stevenage Liberal Democrats have thrown their full support behind The Comet’s and MP Stephen McPartland’s campaign for a new radiotherapy unit at Lister Hospital, meaning that all the three major political parties are on board.
The group’s executive, led by councillor Robin Parker, have asked all members and supporters to sign our petition.
Cllr Parker said: “I think it will be good not just for the town but for the whole area because at the moment people who need cancer treatment have to go to Mount Vernon. It’s a very difficult journey and they have to wait for all the people before they come back.
“It’s a good idea and we should get behind good ideas.
“The previous government tried to provide one in Hatfield but for a variety of reasons that didn’t happen.
You may also want to watch:
“The main reason we’re backing it is that it’s a good idea, not our idea, but we will back any good idea.”
Cllr Parker has sent out several emails asking his group’s members to provide signatures for the campaign which has attracted widespread support from the public.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Two jailed for conspiracy to supply cocaine
Stephen McPartland, Conservative MP for Stevenage, has raised the issue in Parliament and the local Labour party have collected signatures in the town centre, meaning that all the major parties are backing our bid for a new radiotheraphy unit.
The cross party support coupled with the approval of the final stage of development at the hospital have put the radiotherapy unit in sight, but we still need your support so keep those signatures pouring in.
To sign our petition click the link at the top right of the page.