Letchworth woman to walk in husband’s memory
A WOMAN whose husband died of cancer last year has spoken about why she has decided to take part in this year’s Starlight Walk.
Letchworth GC resident Jane Gentry will be on the start line on Saturday, September 8, in memory of her husband Jeff, who died of lung cancer at the age of 59.
The 58-year-old decided to sign up for the walk as a thank you to staff at Garden House Hospice, which provided care and advice for the couple following Jeff’s diagnosis in April 2010 up until his death last November.
“They’ve always been at the end of the phone for me when I’ve needed advice about Jeff’s difficulties,” said Jane, who also took part in the night-time fundraiser in 2010.
“They were so pleasant and nice and they make you feel that you’re not wasting their time – they’ve got all the time in the world for you.
“I am doing the Starlight Walk again to support the hospice as they supported Jeff and me through his illness. They make such a difference that only those unfortunate enough to call upon their services can understand.”
Jane said that she would also like to thank the 600 people who attended her husband’s funeral last December and is hoping for lots of support from family and friends when she sets off in just over two weeks’ time.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 3 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 4 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 5 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 6 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 7 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 8 Symonds Green development raises the number of social homes in Stevenage
- 9 Here's what we know so far about the new Covid variant
- 10 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
A teacher at Wilbury Junior School for more than 30 years, Jeff was well-known for running the school’s choir, as well as being involved in football, cricket and hockey teams.
To sponsor Jane visit www.justgiving.com/jeff-gentry0