Letchworth woman swaps books for scales to help others change lifestyles
- Credit: Archant
A Letchworth woman has swapped teaching kids to helping others choose a healthier lifestyle after her life-changing weight loss left her feeling on top of the world.
Petite, shy and unhealthily overweight, Amanda Dickinson joined a Slimming World group in Letchworth three years ago.
The single mum was blown away with the diet plan she was given, and after dropping from 121/2 stone to nine stone, she signed up to be a Slimming World consultant to help others do the same.
Amanda has since left her job as teacher of Shelphalbury Park Primary School in Stevenage and takes her first slimming class in Letchworth tomorrow morning.
With the latest government figures revealing 19.1 per cent of adults in North Herts are now overweight or obese, she says her role has never been more important.
You may also want to watch:
The 33-year-old said: “Obesity is such a huge issue across the UK.
“When I first joined Slimming World as a member, I never dreamed I would end up helping other people to lose weight but now I just can’t wait to help even more people.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 4 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 7 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 8 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 9 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 10 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
“The eating plan encourages you to eat lots of filling foods like pasta, rice, potatoes and lean meat and fish – you are never hungry and no foods are banned so there’s no deprivation.
“I couldn’t believe I’d found a way to lose weight without starving myself.
“My weight loss has completely changed my life and I am now much more confident.
“I am now happy to go out running and participated in two 10K runs last year.”
Amanda’s Slimming World group will be held at Central Methodist Church on Pixmore Way every Saturday at 8.30am.
For more information or to join Amanda’s group either pop along tomorrow or call her on 07815 305950.