Letchworth woman holds fundraiser to adopt a stray dog from Morocco
- Credit: Archant
A woman held a fundraising event on Saturday to bring a stray dog she found in Morocco back to her Letchworth home.
Lorraine Brown first set eyes on deserted puppy Zahara when she visited Marrakesh on a volunteer programme and decided she would do all she could to provide a loving home for the abandoned dog.
Lorraine said: “I saw Zahara sitting by herself in the square.
“She was completely on her own, nobody beside her.
“I was quite saddened to see her left there, and I thought I just can’t leave her.”
You may also want to watch:
Lorraine took the dog to the vet where she was microchipped and given a rabies jab.
She is now waiting for Zahara to finish her treatment before she is able to set about bringing the pup to the UK.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 5 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 6 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 9 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 10 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
She said: “I knew I wanted to bring her back but I didn’t know how to go about it.
“I didn’t give it much thought to how hard it was going to be. I acted on impulse.
“It’s been very difficult and expensive. I can’t do it on my own, that’s what gave me the idea of doing this fundraising event to help with the costs.”
The Community Christmas Fayre fundraiser raised £328 through cake and present sales, a raffle and competitions.
Lorraine is hoping to raise a total of £1,200 to cover veterinary costs and bring Zahara to the UK.
To make a donation, visit her fundraising page at www.youcaring.com/pet-expenses/help-zahara-the-stray-back-to-the-uk/249653#.VHIG5V49DrJ.facebook.